We all want to be together with our loved ones. When you are separated from your loved ones,  you are eager to complete the paperwork and reunite. The process can complicated and long.  Kiki Gillman is experienced in matters of family-based immigration and assists and guides you in determining what options are best suited for your situation.  The Gillman Immigration experience is an all-inclusive representation including carefully prepare the necessary forms and documents, counsel you through any interviews with immigration officials, and see you through to reuniting your family.

Your family member’s eligibility to qualify for a green card, or legal permanent resident (LPR) status, depends on the relationship between the sponsor and the foreign national. The closeness of the relationship, meaning whether it is a husband and wife,  parent, and child over 21,  or brother and sister will determine how long the process takes.

Green Card Petitions for Immediate Relatives

The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens get first place in line in the immigration process. There is no restriction or limits on how many Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas may be issued in any given year. As a result, this is the fastest and easiest route through the family-based immigration process. There are five categories for immediate relative visas

  • IR-1: Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • IR-2: Unmarried children of U.S. citizens under age 21
  • IR-3: Foreign-adopted orphan children of U.S. citizens
  • IR-4: Orphans to be adopted by U.S. citizens through the American family courts
  • IR-5: Parents of U.S. Citizens over age 21

Children born in the United States often desire to petition for their parents and siblings. However, you have to be over 21 years old to be able to be a sponsor on a petition. U.S. citizens can also petition for their Fiance/Fiancees through the K-1 visa process. These visas allow the U.S citizen and their future spouse to marry here in the U.S  and shorten the time the couple is apart.


You can gain Legal Permanent Resident status through many routes. A lot of F-1 students and B1/B2 visitors who may find themselves out of status with immediate relatives in the United  States especially those with an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen and willing to petition on their behalf — may seek an adjustment of status to obtain a green card and remain permanently in the United States. Depending on your circumstances, and what category of LPR petition you qualify for, this process can take quite some time. It is crucial to begin the process early enough to protect your employment authorization, ability to travel, and legal right to remain in the United States.

Family Preference Category Petitions

Immigrating to the U.S. isn’t limited to immediate relatives, but there are limitations on petitioning for more distant relatives.  Family members such as grandparents, aunts and uncles, in-laws, or cousins, cannot gain any benefit from family based petitions. But these distant relatives can waylays apply for a visitor’s visa to visit temporarily

The preference categories all  green card holders and U.S. citizens seeking to sponsor relatives to wait a little longer to receive one of a limited number of family-based lawful permanent resident green cards in each of these categories:

  • F1: Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens, along with their minor children
  • F2: Immediate spouses and young children of green cardholders
  • F3: Married adult children of U.S. citizens, along with their spouses and minor children
  • F4: Adult siblings of U.S. citizens, along with their spouses and children


U.S. immigration law is complex, make no mistakes. The landscape of immigration law has been ever-changing and the consequences for misunderstanding those rules could be life-changing. Get the help of an experienced immigration attorney, who will help you understand the process, ensure everything is filed properly, and protect your family from losing their legal status. Contact Minneapolis Minnesota Immigration Attorney  Kiki Gillman today to schedule a consultation and start your green card process.