Marriage-Based Green Card

Marriage is a beautiful thing. When you marry someone, you are committing to a life of love, partnership, and companionship together. Sometimes, when one spouse is without legal permanent status in the U.S., it can cause a strain on the relationship. In addition, and navigating all the complexities of immigration law can be overwhelming and exhausting. A foreign spouse becomes either an “immediate relative” after marriage to a U.S. citizen or a “preference relative” after marriage to a U.S. permanent resident. In either case, the foreign spouse has fairly rapid access to permanent residency.

The process for getting a marriage-based green card for the spouse of a U.S. citizen or resident can either be a one-step process called adjustment or via a two-step process called consular processing. The eligibility and assessing which one you qualify for would depend on a number of factors. We have successfully helped many clients with their marriage-based petitions and would be happy to take a closer look at your matter and assist you.

Adjustment of Status

You can gain Legal Permanent Resident status through many routes. A lot of F-1 students and B1/B2 visitors who may find themselves out of status with immediate relatives in the United States especially those with an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen and willing to petition on their behalf — may seek an adjustment of status to obtain a green card and remain permanently in the United States. Depending on your circumstances, and what category of LPR petition you qualify for, this process can take quite some time. It is crucial to begin the process early enough to protect your employment authorization, ability to travel, and legal right to remain in the United States.